Tips to Winterize Your Vehicle
The cold weather has arrived! With highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s Texans pull out the fur coats and gloves. We are taking every precaution to make sure our bodies are prepared and protected from the cold chill in the air but what about our cars?
Luckily in Texas, the Houston area at least, we do not have to deal with much snow. We do need to be prepared for icy road conditions however and KBR Towing has prepared a list of tips to help get your vehicle through the winter.
1. Battery - Checking your battery is always a great place to start when servicing your vehicle. The drastic change in temperatures can take a toll on one of the most important components of your vehicle.
2. Engine’s Cooling System - Paying attention to your engine’s cooling system probably doesn’t cross many people’s minds when the cold weather strikes. This is near the top of our list so you can be sure antifreeze is mixed with your engine’s water. This will prevent any water components associated with your vehicle from freezing and causing expensive damages should the temperatures fall too far below freezing.
3. Tires - In the event you plan on traveling North and encountering any sort of wintery road conditions it would be best to invest in a set of winter tires. They are formulated specifically for extremely cold conditions and able to maintain better traction in snow, ice, and even the mixture of the two.
4. Tire Pressure - While we are on the subject of tires it should be noted that tire pressure is very important. You need to make sure your tires are inflated to the proper PSI to maintain the maximum amount of traction possible for our wintery roadways.
5. Windshield Wipers - Although it may not be necessary for us along the Gulf Coast to purchase winter wipers - it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a fresh set of wiper blades installed. The cold temperatures can take a toll on the rubber of your existing wipers and then mix in a little morning frost and goodbye vision. No body wants that!
6. Winter Safety Kit - A winter safety kit is always very important to have in your vehicle. You never know when something may happen and you are stranded on the side of a cold highway with no heater to keep you warm while waiting on assistance (although with KBR Towing the wait will not be too long). A common set of essentials in a winter safety kit include: matches, first aid kit, flares, extra jacket and/or blanket, flashlight (with good batteries), ice scraper, jumper cables, a couple snacks and a drink. You can also add whatever you think may come in handy during your travels such as an external battery supply for your phone, a shovel, and maybe even extra antifreeze.
7. Defroster - Last but certainly not least ensure your front and rear defroster systems are working on your vehicle. You will want to make sure these are both operating as they should as you will need them at a moments notice on your travels.
The team at KBR Towing Service hopes you found this list of items to help winterize your vehicle helpful. Should you find yourself needing assistance along your travels please do not hesitate to give us a call at 832-710-5626. We will be there to help get you back on the road as quickly as possible. Bundle up!!!